The W. Laurence Sweeney Fisheries Museum was created by W. Laurence Sweeney’s son and daughters. We learned to convey the story of all the people of Laurence Sweeney Fisheries Limited
A small but beautiful museum to learn about the history of the Sweeney Fisheries.
We were here for research, but this is a museum for everyone interested in the fish industry and fishing boats and Rum Running Years.
Marine Slip and Machine Shop Lawrence Sweeney – needed repair and maintenance for his vessels.
Rum Running Years-1925 large cargos of contraband liquor landed at the North West Arm and the Bedford Basin, where rum runner headquarters were established. The south shore of Nova Scotia has hundreds of islands off shore which made it a perfect place for the rum-runners because they could hide their boats and liquor in one of their many coves.
An Ancient old Fish Cart dated back to the early 1900’s
The fisheries museum contains reproduced buildings inside.
We noticed an ancient old Office. There was a typewriter on the desk, an old telephone and a cast iron safe. This caught our attention.